Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Servant Regulator

In their early days, alarm clocks were called "Servant Regulators". Since the earliest days of my childhood I found that Alarm Clocks had something rather suspicious. I found them quite, well, ALARMING :-). My parents had an antic French clock, with an extremely loud bell, that originally was used to indeed regulate the work flow on vineyards. Servant regulator... If you think about it, it is rather unnatural that you need an alarm clock to wake you up. If we slept enough, we wake up ourselves. That we are in need of alarm clocks only shows that we don't sleep enough. Lack of sleep can dramatically reduce our mental capabilities. Lack of sleep is also used as a method of torture and as part of brain washing methods. The money system we now have to live with has something rather sinister about it. It would be idiotic to demand that money be abolished, but the interest based money system is not sustainable in the long run since it results in the necessity of constant economic growth, which is not possible in the long run, so constantly reoccurring crisis is pre programmed, and these "recessions" tend to go along with political turmoil and all too often war. The Swiss economics Professor Binswanger calls his fellow economists a "Glaubensgemeinschaft", which means a Sect. A community of believers. I can't get the "servant regulator" out of my head. Merde. If an alarm clock already is a servant regulator - what then is a telephone? Do wise people normally carry cell phones (affectionately known as "handies" in Germany)? I myself must be the last European of my age without one. That is because I once was "traumatized" so to say by an American TV commercial during my Hawaii time. This was the spot: A young, dynamic, sporty man climbing a wonderful mountain in splendid solitude. He arrives at the summit and enjoys a fabulous sunset vista. He takes a deep breath. An almost meditative atmosphere - and then: his phone rings. His wife is on the phone. Blabla. AT&T - always connected. I was horrified. Always connected! Always under control! Always a regulated servant... That was 8 years ago and I still live without a cell phone. Signs of real luxury in the year 2002: Having no cell phone. Having no watch. No Alarm clock... no servant regulators ;-).

1 comment:

  1. I live in Japan, and I must be the only one in THIS country without a mobile phone!

    Maybe we should make a club...

    Nice blog, by the way...

    ReplyDelete